Thursday, September 10, 2009

Process


I usually create a palette based on the wood that I have. I don’t tend to use every piece for everything. I select a palette and try to make something harmonious from disparate pieces. I try not to cut down any pieces to make smaller pieces unless I need it to fit. I will not cut anything cute or crooked unless it goes along the grain, then I’ll bust it and straighten up that edge that the grain wanted it to split on.

I have a few rules. I can use plywood, but I don’t like to use composite wood like chipboard or mdf. I did use fake brick for a couple of pieces, but I felt like I was breaking my own rules. It’s something you have to do to test the limits of what the rules are.

I try to do a minimal amount of cutting, but that rule takes a backseat to things like balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment